Thursday, October 1, 2009

Not the Barefoot Contessa

Have you tried running barefoot lately? I’m fascinated by, what I will call, the Running Barefoot Phenom. Since I am always ready to go out on a limb, I want to give this a try.

Did you read “Born to Run”? I actually listened to it while running. Wonderfully written and totally engaging tale……I, at least, totally recommend it – even if you are not a runner.

Anyway, now there are these foot covers (I hesitate to call them shoes) that fit like tabi sox and are made w/ Vibram soles. And they mimc being able to run barefoot. I haven’t seen anyone wearing these but I’m sure i will soon……I read REI is selling them. Hmm, so at least I can go touch them, maybe try them on?

The premise is that the foot is naturally designed to strengthen through use. Mankind evolved as runners, hunting and traveling on foot. And none of us had engineered tennies to do it all in. This rings true for me. My feet are far & away more comfortable without shoes. Now, they’re not always warmest but they are more comfy. My last 6 years in FL were heaven for my feet…..virtually no shoes! I did a little shoeless beach running but not much, not enough.

And 15 years of Tae Kwon Do have definitely been shoeless and I think contributed to foot strength. Recently a friend said to me that our feet get flatter as we age. I have not experienced that? Have you? Anyone heard this theory?

Well I think that the more we use ourselves, the stronger we become. Any body part, physical or mental. I look forward to strengthening my feet and my mind, shoeless or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment