Tuesday, December 15, 2009

It's been a blog-reading night

Just when the voice at the back of my blogger’s conscience started bothering me about not having posted in what seems like ages (but in reality is only actually a few days), tonight the few blogs that I have read seem to really hit home in terms of what needs to be said has been said!

There is, for example, this matter that has been bothering me for some time – and is in fact why I started to write the Clinical Nutrition Series (which I have yet to continue faithfully…) – about certain blogs and bloggers who seem to adhere senselessly to certain schools of thought, each rallying up one alongside the other.  What naturally follows is a clique, and even on the online scene, that stuff can be intimidating.  Especially for loners like me!  Sometimes I tell myself that it’s all in my head, that bloggers are all objectively nice people – but face it!  That popular blog will always be the girl with the nice hair who you always wanted to sit beside at lunch be added to their blogroll.  And most the time, well, that just never happens.   I was just about to get started on my soapbox… and then I read  Sophia’s most recent post on how the blogosphere world is truly not much different than high school.  WINNER!  Although I am the first person to vouch for canned pumpkin and hummus (won’t apologize!), I think the underlying principle she addresses is really true – that popular divides, labels, and even trends can be pretty off-putting in the online community.

And then I thought about writing about dealing with negativity.  (The idea for such a post follows a discussion with my brother about things I want to do immediately after graduation. It went something like this:

Aletheia: I want to teach kids how to grow plants and hold food workshops in schools.

Jacob-stink-eye.

Aletheia (ignores): I want to teach them where their food comes from, so that they don’t end up like the typical North American who thinks that Wonderbread comes from a Wonderbread plant…

Jacob:  North Americans say that?

Aletheia: I want to run a Kids Yoga program and teach little children how to be flexible!

Jacob: Wow, I would HATE that.

Aletheia: It would be on an optional basis, so parents would sign their children up if their children expressed interest.

Jacob: MOM, DON’T SIGN ME UP!!! )

And then I read Jenna’s post on “Negativity and its complete worthlessness“. Indeed, think happy be happy.

Along the same lines, I was contemplating today at how my feet led me to the gym even though I was supposed to be writing my essay (or better yet, actually studying for finals).  And then I read Jenna (same Jenna) ’s post on Body First, Finals Second.  Although I can’t fully shirk the fact that I’m really a hardcore nerd at heart, there truly is a point (and that point for me came today) where my mental and physical faculties are just like “GET. AWAY. FROM. BOOKS.  GET. OFF. CHAIR. MOVE!!”

So now that everything’s already been said, I leave you with the remnants – images!

The dehydrating madness continues…

Gena’s raw juice pulp crackers – Take 2.  As you can see, still have difficulty make them into squares.  (Or rectangles. Or triangles.  Possibly even circles.  At this point, I’m willing to take any kind of regular form.)  But alas, they somehow always end up turning into things that look like colourful-but-shriveled-up dried pork rinds.

A twist on Gena’s raw carrot falafel . I made it using regular green-and-orange juice pulp (aka not limiting myself to carrot), used only 1/2 a cup of sesame seeds, accidentally forgot to add in the olive oil, and didn’t put any celery, cilantro, or parsley in (I figured it was in the “green” pulp anyway).  So, in short, this thing may or may not even be Gena’s carrot falafel.  It’s more like Aletheia’s-what-the-heck-juice pulp-falafel-maybe. Maybe.

And I found out that eggplant dehydrates really well.  These are my special mustard eggplant crisps that I always talk about.

What’s for dinner you ask?  All of the above plus my standard bed of greens.

Yup – same old, same old.

Except for this baby:

Again, not telling you what it is.  Until maybe next time.  Because I like to keep people in suspense like that.  Inflicting sleepless nights upon blog readers over mysterious fruits and vegetables… MOUAHAHAHA.

Um, maybe I should have just kept it a blog-reading night.

(2 MORE TO GO!)

[Via http://lafillenaturelle.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment