Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I'm seeing improvement already

I have asthma.  I have had it since the time I was a little girl.  Over the years it has gone up and down in terms of severity.  I can remember a time several years ago when I was eating really healthy and training with a personal trainer that I had a long stretch of a couple of years where I rarely had to take my puffer or any other medication.  But since then it seems to be steadily getting worse, and this past December was pretty bad.  I’ve had allergy tests and I’ve been told that I am allergic to dust and animals.  I control the dust in my house as much as possible, and I am never around animals so this is irrelevant.  So this doesn’t explain why the symptoms would fluctuate so wildly.  It was my mother who first began to suspect that things that I eat could be causing my asthma to act up.  I guess I didn’t want to own up to the fact that my eating habits needed to be changed.  I know people who are allergic to dairy products but they love them so much that even though they feel sick, they continue to eat them.  I suppose I’m a bit like that.  Because I am starting to realize how much my eating and exercise habits affect my breathing.  It has not even been a week since I’ve cleaned up my eating and I already notice a huge difference.  Last night I did not have to take my inhalers before bed OR when I woke up this morning.  It’s amazing!  I’ve also increased my cardio (I did 40 minutes again today instead of the planned 30 minutes).  This past fall I probably didn’t do enough cardio.  I really love weight lifting so when I’m pressed for time I sometimes end up skipping the cardio!

I suppose it may be too early to tell yet, but I’m excited by the thought that I may be able to reduce my asthma medication and breathe better!  This is what I will encourage myself with on the days that I’m tempted to go back to my old chocolate bingeing ways.

[Via http://therightfit.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment